Tuesday, May 1, 2012

McMaster 2012 Graduates - Part 2


Andrew Bysice

Editors Comments: Andrew came to this team as a triathlete with something to prove. His first two years with cross country team were, in hindsight, utterly unimpressive. That is drawing them over the backdrop of this past year. In his first year in the top 9 for the Mac team he was our second man at the CIS championships. Continuing on that performance he signed up for track for his first time in his 5 years of eligibility. He crushed the stereotype that triathletes don't have leg speed by running 8:42.27 for 3000m which puts him 9th all-time as a Marauder.
Sport
XC/Track
What are you graduating from?     
Masters of Science in Biochemistry
What doing next year?     
I'm working on it...
Running plans next year
Racing triathlons at the elite level and continue to improve on my 10k and 5k times
Favourite part of Mac experience
Family dinners with the guys, theme parties, workouts, long runs, candy awards and traveling with the team. It was all good!
Most memorable race
3k at Notre Dame. Got a PB but it was not the time I wanted. However, its probably one of the most magical track meets ever. Will remember racing there for the rest of my life.
Words of wisdom for rookie's or recruits? 
Commit to the process. And love the process. If you focus on that, the results will come.
How being a part of McMaster XC/Track has enhanced your university experience?
I feel I have left a better person and will take these experiences with me through my life. I have made life long friends and will continue to make friends through this team and sport. I felt like I have contributed to something great and hope to see bigger things from this program in the near future. I have learned from this team that if you believe in yourself, anything is possible
Thanks to
The coaches (Pete, Paula and Rory) for being patient with a swimmer trying run and helping him learn how to run properly! Couldn't have done it without you! My family for supporting me and allowing me to do what I love to do! And finally thanks to my team mates. A wise man once said to me that 'showing up is half the battle for success'. Any of my success in running I owe half of it to you guys because you are the reason why I show up.
Additional comments
Had the time of my life! Train or die!


Rachel Lamb

Editors Comments: Rachel made steady improvements throughout her 4 year career as a Marauder, though with some injuries, her pool running has really taken off. She's had several jaw-dropping runs on the track and we certainly hope she is running for Mac next year, because she is gearing up for a monster 5th year.
Sport
XC/Track
What are you graduating from?     
Kinesiology
What doing next year?     
Hopefully doing my Master's in Occupational Therapy at either Western or Mac!
Running plans next year
Run x/c and track for whichever University I am at and do the Around the Bay 30km road race!
Favourite part of Mac experience
Going for long runs on the trails with the girls and dinner at Pete and Paula's!
Most memorable race
Running the 1500m at McGill track in 2nd year and pbing in both my 1500m time and 1000m time! Also seeing the looks on Rory and Pete's faces when I decided to lead the race from the start :P
Words of wisdom for rookie's or recruits? 
You can't do everything! You have to manage your time well and prioritize. Set schedules for yourself and follow them, once you get into a good routine you become much more efficient at getting things done and then you can fit more into your day! Make time for the important things and realize and appreciate the enormous effort the coaches put into everything! Last words of wisdom, if you have a problem (academic or athletic)--> talk to Pete Self (he gives really good advice)!
How being a part of McMaster XC/Track has enhanced your university experience?
Being a part of the Mac x/c and track team allowed me to spend time and get to know so many awesome people. I found my housemates through the team and now they are some of my best friends:) It gave me a stress relief and really got me through 1st year especially. It gave me a greater understanding of the value of hard work and dedication and enabled me to increase my self confidence and focus better in school! It helped to teach me time management skills and made me much more efficient at getting work done and prioritizing things. It gave me a second family, my Hamilton family (I know that sounds really corny but it's true!), and I am going to miss everyone so much! <3
Thanks to
Rory, Pete and Paula! They are really the most dedicated amazing coaches you could ever ask for! :D Also the student therapists! So helpful! And to the team, for giving me some of the best friends and experiences of my life!
Cory McCurry

Editors Comments: Cory McCurry impressed right from the word go. He won the cross country team time trial his first year and proved to be Mac's most consistent and steady performer. He stayed healthy in all 5 of his years, and we can't find a race where he didn't score for the team. This year he was chosen for the role he was born to play. Team Captain. All the best Captain Cory.
Sport
XC/Track
What are you graduating from?     
H. Biology and Pharmacology Co-op
What doing next year?     
MSc in Medical Sciences at McMaster
Running plans next year
Likely road races and the occasional track race in London
Favourite part of Mac experience
Every September to early November
Most memorable race
CIS cross-country 2011
Words of wisdom for rookie's or recruits? 
Don't burn yourself out (have a social life). Have confidence in yourself. Be a part of the team. Be nice.
How being a part of McMaster XC/Track has enhanced your university experience?
There should be a second degree given to student athletes who compete throughout their undergrad (B.A. in time/stress management and dedication would suffice). Its hard to describe how much I have learned and the experiences I have gained as a result of my time as a Marauder. My undergrad would have been significantly easier, but MUCH less memorable without McMaster XC/Track. It has defined my university experience.
Thanks to
Our coaches are second to none. I really need to thank Rory, Pete an Paula for the time they have dedicated to the team. Many of my accomplishments can be attributed to their direct action as coaches. I should also thank the entire team. Although they may not know it, I've learned some important lessons from many members of the team. Collectively, they form the best kind people you will find on campus.
Additional Comments
I wish I could do it all again. Good luck to the incoming athletes!

Sara Giovannetti

Editors Comments: Sara (G-Money) has had a stellar career as a Marauder. In cross country she has finished as high as 23rd at CIS', and 11th at OUA's for an OUA All-Star. Picking up another OUA All-Star she was 2nd at OUA track in 3000m, and 5th in 1500m following day in 2011. That year she was also 6th in the CIS 3000m. She finishes her McMaster career as 7th alltime in 1500m with a 4:37.00, and 4th alltime in 3000m with a 9:48.42.
Sport
XC/Track
What are you graduating from?     
Kinesiology
What doing next year?     
MSc in exercise physiology at Queens
Running plans next year
TBD
Favourite part of Mac experience
Being a part of this team. It allowed me to feel school spirit and wear maroon & grey proudly!
Most memorable race
Running to a silver medal in the 3000m at the 2011 OUA Track & Field Championships. I was leading the pack in 2nd place throughout the race, but at the 2k mark fatigue set in and a number of girls passed me. I heard Rory screaming from the sidelines: "YOU WANT THIS", and got back on track (no pun intended).
Words of wisdom for rookie's or recruits? 
Although recovery runs are supposed to feel 'easy'... trust their importance, put in the time, and you'll see results! Also, ask a vet to show you the sweet trails Hamilton has to offer... and watch out for deer ;)
How being a part of McMaster XC/Track has enhanced your university experience?
It has enhanced my university experience in every way imaginable. Not only did it teach me time management and allow me to release the stresses of schoolwork on the XC course or track, but it gave me the opportunity to meet an amazing group of people. I have developed great friends and memories on and off the field or track during my time as a Marauder.
Thanks to
Rory, Pete, and Paula. They are the most dedicated and caring coaches I have ever had. Thanks to my teammates for all the support and good times during my 4 years. Also thanks to my parents, who came out to many of my races (even when it was freezing cold and raining on the Plains of Abraham or in Kingston).
Additional Comments
I will always be a Marauder at heart!

Alison Ludzki

Editors Comments: Alison is always eager to discuss physiological adaptions, and needs to be torn away from her kin textbooks to go running. She followed the McMaster development program to a T. Alison improved immensely over her 4 years as a Marauder and saved the best for this past year. Now she's off to shadow Trent Stellingwerff at Guelph.
Sport
XC/Track
What are you graduating from?     
Kinesiology
What doing next year?     
MSc in exercise physiology at Guelph
Running plans next year
Pick up some more PBs
Favourite part of Mac experience
Saturdays! Team long run + stretch + breakfast
Most memorable race
Chicago xc - first time I raced to my potential and it was amazing to cross the line and find my teammates as pumped about it as I was!
Words of wisdom for rookie's or recruits? 
Strive for consistency but listen to your body - off day runs and long runs add up but no one run makes your season. Keep a running log to remind you how much you've done. Set goals - not just results goals, but process goals and fun goals! For each season/training period/long solo tempo you have to do in the rain on a windy bayfront - makes you come away from every run feeling positive (hopefully).
How being a part of McMaster XC/Track has enhanced your university experience?
Left me always surrounded by AMAZING people! Running goals take the stress off school and extracurricular goals, keeping things balanced. Also allowed me to break-up my cubicle time with daydreaming about next track practice!
Thanks to
Pete, Paula, Rory - it's not just running I love, it's the Mac program and I know you guys take the care to formulate this! Pete for starting a rumour I could break 5 (only took a year). Housemates for accepting hermit life. Teammates for encouraging non-hermit life and keeping me running through 2010/2011 season!

No comments:

Post a Comment